The veterinary team at Oakham Veterinary Hospital have developed a wealth of experience and knowledge in caring for high performance sport horses and ponies. These include eventers, showjumpers and racehorses that are performing at the highest level, both nationally and internationally.
Credit - Nico Morgan Photography
Managing the modern day sport horse involves working in close conjunction with riders, owners, trainers and para-professionals to optimise fitness and performance to enable the horse to perform at a high level. Our vets understand the demands of competition and the desire to peak for specific events.
We offer our clients a detailed pre-season evaluation to establish a baseline of performance and formulate a plan for the coming season. This allows us to plan routine maintenance treatments and assessments throughout the season.
Diagnostics - Read more
We understand that early detection of injury is key to giving the horse the best chance for recovery. Our expert interpretation and experience is essential for injury interpretation to understand whether an injury is ‘manageable’ with treatment or if it requires a period of rest.
- Full range of diagnostic imaging is available in the hospital:
- Latest portable diagnostics are available for yard visits.
- In addition to orthopaedics, medicinal issues can also be performance limiting. Our expert team of medics can investigate causes of poor performance such as breathing/ respiratory problems, stomach ulcers and heart conditions.
Treatment - Read more
We have available all the latest sports medicine treatments including in-house regenerative medicine.
- BMAC – Bone marrow concentrate
- PRP – Platelet rich plasma
- Irap – Interluekin-1 receptor antagonist protein
- Stem cells.
All of our vets are familiar with FEI and BHA withdrawal and detection times for competing horses requiring treatment.
The team work closely with rehabilitation centres, physiotherapists, farriers, nutritionists, chiropractors and other paraprofessionals to provide a complete care package for the performance horse.
Pre purchase exams - Read more
The buying and selling of sports horses is essential to the industry. Our vets are experienced at looking after and understanding the demands of competition horses from young horse classes through to international competition.
- Our vets regularly travel throughout Europe for pre purchase exams
- Full Xray / ultrasound/ MRI imaging available for pre-purchase examinations.
- Full 5 stage and 2 stage vettings are available
Young horse production - Read more
The future of competition success lies in the young horse production. These formative years of development require considered veterinary input to help ensure optimal training and development of young horses. Our team can offer advice to sport horse breeders and producers including
- Treatment of conformational issues that may limit future performance
- X ray assessment for pre-purchase exams
- Insurance vettings
We also offer a full range of reproduction services and are very experienced at semen imports and exports from around the world, along with embryo transfer. To see our full range of of services please go to the stud services section of our website.